Tags: park, garden
The site of Queen's Gardens has been closely associated with the physical and social development of the City of Perth, initially as part of the commonage which was used for recreation purposes including horse racing and later as a clay mine and brickworks. The bricks produced between 1860 and 1890, went into several of Perth's most prominent buildings.
This part was officially opened and named Queens Gardens by then Mayor of the City of Perth, Alexander Forrest, MLA, in 1899.
The main features of the gardens include water lily-filled lakes (the old clay pits), massed displays of flowers and a replica of the Peter Pan statue in Kensington Gardens, London, manicured lawns and a large variety of trees and shrubs.
The gardens attract an abundance of bird life such as the Black Swans, Willy Wagtails and the occasional stork. Along with the bird life is a spectacular array of dragonflies that play amongst the water-lilies.
Based on J.M. Barrie's immortal character, Peter Pan, the base of the statue is signed by the author and not the sculptor, Sir George Frampton, which probably seems apt as the gardens seem like Never Never Land on the outer edge of the Central Business District of Perth.