Tags: technology, walking tours, museum, education
In 1912 the Federal Government built one of Australia's first telecommunication stations . Using Morse Code the telecommunication station communicated with ships off the Australian coast using a mast 112 metres tall.
In 1968 the station was vacated and the land was brought by the City of Melville and is now a public reserve and museum.
The former Applecross Wireless Station played a major role in connecting Perth to Eastern Australia and the world. It encompasses an era in technology, from the earliest establishment of wireless telegraphy communications through to the introduction of satellite communication. The site is considered to be of special significance to Australia and is listed on the Register of National Estate and the State Register of Heritage Places. The site was the first location for ship to shore communication in Perth.
The Museum is currently closed for refurbishment and the collection is undergoing a major significance assessment in readiness for the Centenary Celebrations in September 2012.